I have just finished watching season 2 of You and so I thought I would share my thoughts, similar to how I did for Grey’s Anatomy. I took bullet points while I was watching the show, so that is what I’m going to share.
However, I will probably add more to them since this was a quick thing and I just wanted to watch the show.
Also before we get into this I wanna say I have read both books the TV show is based on, so if you wanna know my thoughts on Hidden Bodies, the book this season was based on then feel free to check it out here.
Now onto my thoughts on the TV show:
- Oh Joe, running away to LA because your ex you thought was dead showed up. Mood. But also it seems so random like I feel like the book did it better, I know Joe was trying to find a place Candace was never gonna find him but he literally could have gone anywhere, in the book he goes to LA to chase someone else.
- I was so shocked to find Joe built a cage in LA but also kind of impressed. Don’t ever change man.
- Wow in the first like five minutes of the show Joe is getting his finger cut off by a crazy guy, that’s fun.
- Ooh Beck the ghost! I wonder how long this lasts.
- Well that guy definitely needed to die because he was a psycho and would never have left Joe alone but what’s next for Joe and Will?
- It is so creepy watching Joe grind up that dude omg.
- Delilah got a huge upgrade from the books I mean she went from “Don’t fuck Delilah” to “Don’t fuck with Delilah” – you go girl.
- I love that they needed to write in some way to kill Henderson to stay true to the books. At least in the TV show it seems like they tried to make out like Joe was being a good guy whereas in the books he kills him over some comedy sketch lol
- Ooh Candace and Forty I see how it’s going to be. I knew we hadn’t seen the last of her.
- Joe accidentally killing Henderson is hilarious like look at him trying to turn a new leaf but someone died anyway…Yikes.
- Nice nod to the book with Candace using Amy’s name. I would have preferred if Amy had been in this one but I guess there’s a thrill of trying to figure out what Candace’s plan is with Joe.
- Poor Candace having PTSD from Joe. Not surprised though I mean she was buried alive.
- I “wolf” you. Seriously?! So much worse than that everythingship crap.
- I’m so glad the Third Twin thing is just a reference and not Forty’s whole idea for a movie because I don’t think I could handle that crap again. It was so stupid.
- Seeing Joe tied up like that was hilarious but I wish it had been Candace who did it and not that other woman.
- I guess no one is going to find out about that first guy Joe killed? I mean I suppose no one really knew about him apart from Will.
- So Candace just got paid off and went on her merry way? Okay then.
- Ahhh enter Milo. Surprised Love is actually sleeping with him though didn’t think that would happen. Also surprised Forty hates him, I thought he loved him in the book.
- Joe actually took a selfie so he can online date lol. Who is he?
- Omg that whole cleanse thing too. LA has changed Joe forever.
- I see that Love is not going to go through that whole oral issue she had in the book. Kind of sad about that though because I thought it would be hilarious. Though in the TV show she seems to be pretty kinky.
- Ooh Joe and Delilah getting arrested for public indecency . That’s fun. Also they were kind of cute together.
- I was wondering how they were going to kill Delilah but she finds out about Henderson. So he kills her and then that cop guy obviously – but what about Ellie?
- Hey Joe fixed up that wall – nice.
- WAIT he’s letting Delilah go?! Someone is really trying to turn a new leaf.
- Forty drugging Joe is so wild. And I thought this was when Joe was going to attempt to kill Forty but I guess not.
- DELILAH MURDERED – but who did it?
- Omg her facial recognition worked? With her eyes closed?! Sketchy, mine doesn’t work sometimes when I have makeup on lol
- Joe calling Will and him being totally chill about Joe having another person in the cage and possibly killing them is crazy but okay. We love a non-judging friend.
- Hey Candace is back! Hi girl.
- Ah she found Joe and Delilah! This is where Joe gets caught and goes to jail right?
- I guess not she just calls Love instead. I know from the book that Love is okay with Joe being a killer and even helps him get rid of that mug of pee so this is fine. I mean in the book I was unsure if she was really in love with him or just saying it so she didn’t die but we’ll see where this goes.
- OMG LOVE JUST KILLED CANDACE I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING.
- Love also killed Delilah and that babysitter? Wow.
- LOVE IS LIKE JOE I’M SCREAMING. She is not like she is in the book, she’s a killer, she wanted Joe from the beginning, she knew they were soulmates I kind of love it but was not expecting this oh my God.
- Lol wait does Joe not like this?
- WAIT IS JOE THE ONE WHO IS GOING TO PRETEND TO LOVE, LOVE
- This is a turn of events, I did not expect Joe to recoil from Love, in the book, he is the one who is still head over heels in love with Love and would still do anything for her…this is weird.
- I see that Forty has figured out that Joe is a killer and wants to free Dr Nicky. I can see why he is freaking out, if only he knew Love could be just as dangerous…
- What is with Joe’s hair at this wedding it is so distracting haha
- So Forty traps Love and Joe in Anavrin and wants to kill Joe. This took a huge turn.
- Side note I think it’s nice that Joe wants to help Ellie. There is no Ellie in the books but I think it’s nice he thinks of her and wasn’t going to kill Delilah because of her. He always looks out for the kids, like Paco in the last season. I miss him.
- SO THE COP KILLS FORTY? Unexpected. I mean I knew Forty died in the book but I couldn’t remember how. I wasn’t sure if it was going to happen on the TV show but it made sense because it was clear that Love and Joe could never be together properly with Forty in the way, at least how Joe saw it.
- Plus I expected Joe to kill that cop because he killed him in the book lol.
- And so it ends with Love, actually being pregnant, living in a lovely new home with the family she always wanted with Joe by her side.
- Meanwhile Joe hates it and believes that he deserves this for all the horrible things he has done. He thinks this is his punishment, trapped with a psycho like Love because he wants his child to have a father.
- But at the same time there’s a neighbour who he might have caught the sight of who he quite likes…
And here we are at the end!
This was a wild rollercoaster and the bullet points are way longer than I thought they would be but I knew I had a lot of things to say.
Overall the season was really good. I mean I already knew I was going to like it based on the book alone. I knew they would make changes though because that’s understandable but it’s interesting to see how they varied quite a bit from the book.
I was a little disappointed in the variations, mainly because they have changed Joe’s character from how he was. I wasn’t expecting him to recoil from Love and realise he was a terrible person. I feel like the TV show try and make you understand him and want to kind of root for him sometimes.
But I prefer that he is just bad and his thinking justifies all the wrongful actions. I guess I just prefer him be a straight up bad guy. Seeing him turn a leaf is not what I signed up for haha.
I also still can’t get over how extreme they made Love either, it doesn’t seem right but I am interested to see more of her and where it takes us. In the book I was questioning her love for Joe but in the TV show there is no question about it lol. So I wonder how raising a family will be.
But yeah, sadly there is no new book out yet so I can’t even use that as an indicator of how the next season will go. And yes, there will be another season because Penn Badgley told us lol. So I guess we have to wait. Though the book would definitely be different anyway because Joe actually went to jail.
I wanted that to happen to be honest, I was expecting him to go to jail. Surprised it didn’t happen. I know in the book he probably won’t stay in jail for long but even so, the TV show has taken a turn, where it will lead us I don’t know.
If I had to make predictions I would say that Joe pursues the neighbour, Love finds out and isn’t happy about it so maybe she tries to kill him? I say Joe makes an escape or kills Love and then…that’s kind of how far I get.
In the meantime I guess I go back to my other shows and books and patiently wait for more info, and also insert myself into every conversation about the show on Reddit because I can’t stop talking about it.
~ Courtney x